Saturday, June 27, 2009

Letter to Mike

So one thing I've wanted to do for quite a while is have a "Collaboration" with someone in my circle for a post on the blog... The Blog has been up for a while but its not until now that the collab has become a reality. My man Devo, (A Very talented R&B artist on the rise--part of the BXL family) approached me and asked me if he could broadcast his "Letter to Mike via my blog because he had no medium to get it out to the world. Whats funny is that on the day Mike passed I thought of "Letter to B.I.G" by Jadakiss, and wondered who would write the letter to Mike. So when he contacted me ofcourse I jumped at the opportunity, and told him My blog is his Blog and that I would gladly post his letter for him. So without further adu 'Tha Bull Pen' Gladly Presesnts: "Letter to Mike" by Devo Diamond.
P.S. I couldn't have written the letter better myself.
-Eno-

Dear Mike,
Hi. I never thought I'd be writing to you, because I always assumed anything I had to say to you, I'd be able to say in person. I don't even know where to begin. I guess I should start by thanking you. Thank you for your existence. From your life, to your music, to your outreach. You really were royalty. You were a king among men. You set an unattainable bar that will never be reached or passed. No one will be able to do it better, or even come close. All we can hope for is to emulate.
Merriam-Websters dictionary cites the definition of "music" as "the art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre". I couldn't have said it better myself. Your music is an artform by itself. It should be its own genre. It stands alone as a body of art, & inspiration.
As a child, I was introduced to you, and I loved you instantly. I don't remember what was the 1st song I heard, but my mother says she remembers the 1st song I could sing well being "ABC". She also remembers me scuffing my living room floor, as I studied and practiced your moves. You gave me a glimpse into what perfection was. And you set the tone, for where my career should be. Not just for me, but for the world. Every artist in any genre has been influenced by you.
My greatest sorrow is that I will never get to watch you perform live. I won't get to see how truly great you are in person. But please believe I'll never forget. My children's children will know of you, and know well. I remember begging my mother for tickets to your anniversary concert at MSG. When I finally got her to say yes, they were long sold out. I was praying if your London concert did well, you would come back east. I guess your videos n concert tapes are just gonna have to do. Until I see your sold out concerts in Heaven. When Biggie & Pac will open for you.
I also wanna thank you for your influence on me as an artist. I'm an R&B artist, and you hear your influence in every song I sing. I regret you never getting to hear my music. I think you would have enjoy'd it. They say emulation is the highest form of flattery. I think a collab would have been dope. Puffy, & The Game did a tribute record to you, and I just WISH I could have been a part of it. But this letter is accompanied by a song. I'll do my best and hopefully you feel it.
You taught me how to dance, and you showed me what vocal delivery is. You showed me how to be passionate about my art. And how to elevate it to the next level. Your stage show, & presence will never be matched. You were more than an icon. Now your a legend. "R.I.P." Isn't good enough for you. Your walking on the moon now. I appreciate everything you've done for my career, n the world. I Love You Mike...
-Devo-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cant thank u enough 4 posting this bro... always love u 4 that...