Saturday, February 28, 2009

Barack Obama

NOV. 4TH CONTINUED:
I Know ya didn't think I was gonna forget or otherwise skip my uncle Barack right?

Barack Hussein Obama II was born on August 4Th, 1961. (Big Ups to the best birthday month in all the 12 months available!) BARACK IS THE 44TH AND CURRENT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN TO HOLD THE OFFICE.

Barack Obama was born at the Kapi'olani Medical Center for women & Children in Honolulu, Hawaii. He was born to Stanley Ann Dunham, an American of European descent from Kansas and Father Barack Obama, Sr, a Luo (African ethnic group) from Nyang'oma, Kenya. Obama's parents met in 1960 in a Russian language class at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where his father was a foreign student on scholarship. The couple married on February 2, 1961, and Obama was born later that year. His parents separated when he was two years old, and they divorced in 1964. Obama's father returned to Kenya and saw his son only once more before dying in an automobile accident in 1982.

From ages six to ten, Obama attended local schools in Jakarta, including Besuki Public School and St. Francis of Assisi School.

He then returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents, Madelyn and Stanley Aemour Dunham, while attending Punahou School from the fifth grade in 1971 until his graduation from high school in 1979.

Obama's mother returned to Hawaii in 1972 and remained there until 1977, when she relocated to Indonesia to work as an anthropological field worker. Dunham finally returned to Hawaii in 1994 and lived there for one year before dying of ovarian cancer.

Of his early childhood, Obama recalled, "That my father looked nothing like the people around me — that he was black as pitch, my mother white as milk — barely registered in my mind." He described his struggles as a young adult to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. He disclosed that he used alcohol, marijuana and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind." At the 2008 Civil Forum on the Presidency in 2008, Obama identified his high-school drug use as his "greatest moral failure."

Some of his fellow students at Punahou School later told the Honolulu Star-Bulletin that Obama was mature for his age, and that he sometimes attended college parties and other events in order to associate with African American students and military service people. Reflecting later on his formative years in Honolulu, Obama wrote: "The opportunity that Hawaii offered — to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect — became an integral part of my world view, and a basis for the values that I hold most dear."

^The 44Th President of the United States^
The First Black man elected into office
My Uncle
Barack Obama

[His story is quite long so I hope you can understand me cutting it short, and I hope you do your research on him as well as I have.

Personal Thoughts:
So going back to November 4Th, lol.
I'm still excited about the whole fact that my generation came together as one to produce a President (a chosen leader of the people) who is of black decent. A decent, family man who's the complete opposite of so many peoples perception of what black people are.

I was watching a documentary on HBO the other day that showed millions of conservatives in the South who hated Barack and everything that he stood for. One man was asked who he was going to vote for and when asked he simply said: "I'm gonna vote for the white man" when asked why, he simply said "I ain't voting for no Nigger". The Ignorance and hate that poured out with the sound of his voice hurt me deeply and personally. It showed that there is still racism and prejudice in the country we call home. But that's all to be left for another post. Despite the South Barack Obama still reigned triumphant and became the 44Th President of the United States. I'm more than proud of him and only hope that God be with him in every step He takes, metaphorically and literally.

I pray that he doesn't let us down like so many expect and are hoping for just so they can say "I told you So" May God Bless him and his family: Wife Michelle and both beautiful daughters Sasha and Milia. I'm sure this is not my last post in which he is the focal point so like always Stay up and Stay tuned.

No comments: